Dispatches from the Suburbs of Hell

Heaven is for the obedient. Hell is for the wrathful. What of the ones in between? We wind up in the Suburbs. Our sin is individuality. Our punishment is boredom. But at least we're in good company.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Back At It

Well, Monday I start my new job. I'm frankly looking forward to it. Two weeks ago I was laid off from my previous position (for a certain well-regarded political magazine who shall remain nameless), and frankly I don't miss it. I don't miss the long hours, I don't miss the primadonna writers, I don't miss the complete and utter lack of respect. That's how a magazine works, of course: the writers are the princes of the bloody universe, and the support staff are just there to serve their whims. That's what I hated about the job: the utter sense of futility. I am a Prince of Hell, and so bureacracy is near and dear to my heart. I am ALL ABOUT the red tape, baby. It fell to me and my fellow bureacrats to create a system, to design procedures, to set limits on spending and so forth, that would keep the company stable. And of course, writers are ARTISTS, and don't care much for procedures or staying on budget or turning in their receipts. My precious, precious systems, all trampled upon...oh the pain...

So I won't miss it. I'm sure they'll miss me; they'll never find someone willing to take as much abuse as I did. And so, after two weeks of unemployment, I will be employed again. For more money in a more cooperative and pleasant environment. And, get this: I was hired ON THE STRENGTH OF MY EXPERIENCE. Wow. Wasn't hired because of who I knew, or where I've worked, but WHAT I've done. Man, I thought they didn't give out jobs like that any more. At any rate, I'm optimistic. I'm glad that all the work I've done has not been for nothing. I'm glad I'm going to be working for a company doing good work. And I'm glad to be working, period.

You'd think that two weeks of unemployment would be something of a vacation for me; I didn't see it that way at all. I like to work. I feel at peace when I'm being implemented. So the last two weeks haven't really been "time off" for me: They've been jam-packed with interviews and shooting off resumes. I must have sent out fifty resumes in the last month. Must have gone on ten interviews in the last WEEK alone. LOOKING for a job, quite frankly, is more grueling than actual work. The writing of cover letters is exhausting; you can only describe your attributes in so many ways. And the interview process, where you REALLY sell yourself, is ridiculous. I've answered the same questions a dozen times. I can easily tell you some of the challenges I faced at my last position, or where I see myself in five years (it'd be nice to be at a job for that long, actually...). It gets both montonous and frustrating at times. I have become far more intimate with the details of my own life than I frankly ever really wanted to. My greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. My interest in this industry. What three things I think my past supervisor would say about me. All these interviews started blending together toward the end. I can't remember half the names of the people I interviewed with.

So, I'm glad it's over. I can stop scouring the classified. I can stop composing five to ten brilliant cover letters a day. I can stop being bright-eyed and enthusiastic for HR Managers. I can stop arguing with temp agency reps (the slave traders of capitalist society) about trying to get ten years of financial and HR experience all on a single page (excuse me if I'm overqualified for your frigging envelop-stuffing job!). I finally have time to send my suit to the dry-cleaner. And finally, I can get back to business of earning a living.

Given all that, going back to back to wok will be like a vacation for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

i knew it wouldn't take you long to find something. :)

3:29 PM, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Noreen said...

congrats! Sometimes the universe DOES listen :)

7:24 PM, February 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wok it, baby, wok it. ;)

Remember, you've earned it, including all those papercuts.

2:51 PM, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home