Dispatches from the Suburbs of Hell

Heaven is for the obedient. Hell is for the wrathful. What of the ones in between? We wind up in the Suburbs. Our sin is individuality. Our punishment is boredom. But at least we're in good company.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Where The Hell Have I Been?

Dang. How time flies when you're busy.

Or unmotivated.

Anyway...I just realized I haven't posted for a couple of months. This is a great pity and shame to me, as I have plenty to say. I've just been...well, I guess preoccupied is the word.

So what's preoccupied me these last few months? Well, for starters, a new job. Got a new job at a big health insurance company downtown (not naming names), in their accounting department. It's been an adjustment; I'm used to nonprofits. Smaller, informal companies, normally where I'm the go-to guy for projects and solutions. It's a transition to go to a larger company. To not be the only financial guy is a change: to not have the entire weight of a company on your shoulders alone. It's a different experience for me. Time will tell if it will be a good experience for me, though.

I know, I know. The economy sucks, and I managed to not only land a job, but one that pays well and will probably be around for a while. But I do have a bit of melancholy in my soul. My last job lasted all of a year, but it was probably the best experience I've ever had. I was The Guy. I had the respect of my peers and some genuine authority. Plus which, it was fun. Alas, it was not to be. Perhaps good things are not meant to last. To go from that to low man on the totem pole is jarring. Of course I'm content there for the moment - I love the day-to-day stuff, and I get to do that - but every so often I pine for a tiny non-profit that needs to be whipped into shape.

Let's see, what else? Oh yes, shopping. Finally got my hands on some disposable income, and boy have I been disposing of it. Nothing crazy, I don't think. A few things I needed around my apartment. Some new clothes (that was depressing; I must come to terms with the fact that I no longer have a 34-inch waist). And of course, my precious new toy: the Playstation 3. And because I'm insane, I spent the extra time and money to get a fully backwards-compatible model. I think I made that Gamestop clerk's day. Especially when I asked him to recommend a few games ("I'm SO glad you asked me that, sir. Right this way...."). THAT, I think, is what's been sucking up my time. I never considered myself a "gamer," but my God. This thing is like electronic heroin. I think I've been playing Assassin's Creed for three weeks straight.

And sure, shanking Crusaders in an Acre back-alley is fun and all, but it meant my other, more lofty distractions, have fallen by the wayside. Most notably, my blog here. So...I'm sorry. I'm going to have to put down the controller for a while, face my melancholy, and get back into the swing of things. It's high time I did.

So keep watching this space. I will be back...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home